GO OFF — Meaning: to start ringing (alarm)
• The fire alarm went off because someone was smoking in the toilets.
• I’m sorry I’m late. My alarm clock didn’t go off (ring) this morning!
BE UP — Meaning: to (stay) awake
• She’s not up yet.
• I’m sorry I was up (stayed awake) all night with a headache and I just couldn’t get up (get out of the bed) this morning.
GET UP — Meaning: to get out of bed
• I get up at seven o’clock on weekdays, but lie in till noon at the weekend.
BREAK DOWN — Meaning: to stop working
• My car’s broken down, so I came by taxi.
• I’m sorry my car broke down (stopped working) and I had to call a tow truck.
MAKE UP — Meaning: to invent a story
• They made up an excuse for being late.
• I’m tired of you making up (inventing stories) excuses every time you show up late for work!
SHOW UP — Meaning: to attend something or arrive somewhere
• Very few showed up at the meeting.
PUT UP WITH — Meaning: to tolerate
• I can’t put up with my neighbour’s noise any longer; it’s driving me mad.
• I won’t put up with (tolerate) this situation anymore!
END UP — Meaning: to become or do something unplanned
• We couldn’t get tickets for Egypt so we ended up going to Turkey instead.
• I told you he was going to end up pissing off (making him angry) our boss sooner or later.
PISS OFF — Meaning: to make someone angry
• It really pissed me off that they didn’t help me out when I needed it.