1. At one’s fingertips
Meaning: at one’s reach
• I usually have my address book at my fingertips.
2. Bite one’s nail
Meaning: to bite one’s fingernails because of feeling nervous or anxious.
• The girl was biting her nails as she waited for the speech contest to begin.
3. All thumbs
Meaning: to be awkward and clumsy, a difficulty in fixing things or working with hands.
• Barry is all thumbs. He can’t fix something without making it worse.
4. Burn one’s finger
Meaning: to suffer from a bad experience.
• My farther burned his fingers in the stock market and he doesn’t want to invest money again.
5. Catch someone red-handed
Meaning: to catch someone in the act of doing something bad or wrong.
• The teacher caught the boys red-handed when they wrote on the school wall.
6. Closefisted (with money)
Meaning: to be stingy with money.
• My uncle was closefisted with money.
7. Cross one’s fingers
Meaning: to hope or wish for good luck.
• I crossed my fingers that I would get the job that I had applied for.
8. First hand
Meaning: to see or experience or learn about somethingby direct personal experience.
• We saw the car accident first hand when we were driving down the highway.
9. Knuckle sandwich
Meaning: to punch on the mouth. In bahasa Indonesia, a knuckle sandwich means“bogem mentah.”
• If you say that again you’ll get a knuckle sandwich!
10. Hands down
Meaning: easily, unopposed
• He won the election for class president hands down.